In the UL Lafayette School of Architecture and Design, we offer both a Bachelor Science in Architectural Studies and a Master of Architecture program with curriculum requirements based on the student's previous education.
We work to ensure that our graduates are prepared to:
- Practice in a global economy;
- Recognize the positive impact of design on the environment;
- Understand the diverse and collaborative roles assumed by architects in practice;
- Understand the diverse and collaborative roles and responsibilities of related disciplines;
- Respect client expectations;
- Advocate for design-based solutions that respond to the multiple needs of a diversity of clients and diverse populations, as well as the needs of communities; and
- Contribute to the growth and development of the profession.
A primary goal of the architecture curriculum is to balance professional and technical education with a liberal arts education. Our revised curriculum for both the undergraduate and the graduate programs now allows for 45 credit hours of non-architecture courses so you can explore your other areas of interest.
B.S. in Architectural Studies
The pre-professional bachelor's degree prepares you to enter career fields related to architecture and to pursue the professional Master of Architecture degree. This degree is designed so you develop a foundation in design and professional development. We are proud that our programs are a deliberate set of experiences aimed at helping you develop intelligent and ethical design methods through the exploration of the four architectural environments: physical, social-cultural, technological, and professional.
Because of our constant concern for our state's wetlands and coast, we are always focused on engaging environmental conditions in our courses. We work to integrate issues concerning local cultures and the natural environment into design studio projects. Recently, our undergraduate students worked to examine the global through the local through projects in the Atchafalaya Basin and at a local lake, as well as through large-scale public research projects.
Our B.S. in Architectural Studies was recently ranked 2nd in AffordableSchools.net's Top 15 Most Affordable Bachelor's Degrees in Architecture and Environmental Design.
Learn more about our undergraduate program in architectural studies.
This program prepares its students for licensure or certification within the state of Louisiana. Please visit the list of licensure programs for important information if you plan to move out of state.